Wednesday 29 June 2011

Day 50 - den Haag to Haamstede

Around den Haag there are lots of sand dunes and it is over these that you cycle towards the hook of Holland.

I think the signposts in Holland are a bit crap. It is very easy to get from a to b, but there is little information on the area. Germany had these great boards about what to see.

I suspect I took the dull way out of den Haag. At one point I tried to follow the dutch R1 but ended up going round a bus and tram stop so followed signs for the hook. It's a shame as I probably missed some dunes.

After an industrial bit following the hook and Rozenberg the scenery gets much nicer. First it goes into Brielle, a fabulous little village circled by a moat, and, of course, a stone church.

Then it start to hop between the islands going past dunes, endless beaches and a giant spit connecting two bits of land. Here there is a cycle path on the middle with the sea stretching endlessly either side and beaches lining the path.

The temperature hit 33 degrees today so stopping for a coke and an ice cream was unbelievable. I'd got through so much water that I was sick of it.

I decided to stop half way to Brugge in a town called Haamstede. The tourist information people directed me to a camp site, and it is good to save some money after Utrecht. I'm also getting some use out of this tent, which hasn't been slept in since the first night. It was definitely good security though.

The highlight of the day was probably the last bit on the way here. I took the long route following the R1 through the dunes, and some people looked shocked as I climbed a 10 per cent one. It was only a couple of hundred metres. It has made me have more respect for pros who do that for kilometres on end.

No comments:

Post a Comment