Wednesday 29 June 2011

Day 46 - Arnhem to Utrecht

There is no such thing as society.

Usually I'd completely disagree with that statement - despite some people believing I make Adam Smith look like a communist - but this trip has often been quite lonesome.

This is not to say I'm lonely, but more that my happiness has been mostly dependent on myself. Before Germany, when there was only one route, this was something I didn't think about.

Now, the Netherlands has brought about choice.

It was raining again, one of the external factors that can dampen the mood.

After making it to Rhenen following a ride along the river it began to get seriously wet. Unfortunately this was probably the nicest region as it entered a national park on the way to Utrecht.

This dilemma is what started me thinking about happiness and choice. As the mercury pushed 14 degrees I didn't want to take long winding routes, but equally didn't want to miss out on beautiful scenery.

I always feel a tinge of regret about something I may have missed.

In the end I decided on going straight along the main road to the picturesque town of Zeist. It is still through the woods, and it would be foolish to have regrets about what I missed.

Plus, I'd already got covered in sheep shit following the route earlier through a path used for grazing.

The point, I felt while riding, is that everything is your decision, no matter how simple. It can be rewarding, if a little lonely.

From Zeist it is a short ride into the centre of Utrecht.

No comments:

Post a Comment