Saturday 4 June 2011

Day 25 - Grudziadz to Bydgoszcz

A tale of two cities with names that are impossible to pronounce, but Bydgoszcz was the only place I could get the train to Gdansk from.

Yes, I know it is all meant to be pedal power, but my friend pat is joining me for a week and that requires an airport. Moreover, Gdansk is backwards and we should be kicking off again from Bydgoszcz again on Monday.

The last day of cycling before the weekend was brilliant. It is about 80km, taking you through the tiny hidden gem of Chelmno. Up a climb of about 8 pet cent there is a chess board of an old town. Here I soaked up the sun and atmosphere.

Back down the other side it is a descent of 6 per cent for a kilometre and a half before going up and down it again.

These hills are off the r1, but Bydgoszcz isn't actually on the route.

My own navigational skills have been as dubious as some of the signage going into towns in the last couple of days. The day before I took a copilot inspired route along the river that led to sand, an overgrown path through the woods, sewage (probably) and a fence, meaning I had to climb back up through it.

Today's was infinitely more successful, following a cycle path down a rocky descent and then up a paved hill chasing two guys in lycra. It is always fun to see their look at the panniers.

Bydgoszcz is surprisingly big, and rather industrious. Luckily there are cycle paths along the roads. The old town is small, but this is becoming a modern city and a decent one.

No comments:

Post a Comment