Sunday 19 June 2011

Day 40 - Bad Gandersheim to Höxter

It was wet, windy and cold. It wasn't a Tuesday night in Blackpool, but I don't think Messi would have fancied it - and neither did I.

In the end it brightened up, though the rain clouds kept threatening. I've been ridiculously lucky with weather this trip, only being caught in serious rain for two days in Estonia. Today a downpour started again when I arrived at the hostel, cleared up long enough to go out for dinner, before a storm broke out as I arrived back.

Anyway, don't want to give the British a reputation for talking about the weather. There wasn't too much to see on a shortened 74km day. The hills in the distance were pleasant, but there was only one serious 100 metre climb to Stadtoldendorf. With rain threatening it seemed best just to push on.

I hadn't realised how fatigued I was, but the lack of hills made me feel much better. The other major one was up to the hostel. After riding virtually flat along the river the hills bank either side and the hostel is at the top. It is about a kilometre of 10 percent, which hurts with panniers.

Höxter is an absolute ghost town this evening, despite being a Saturday. Nobody is in the restaurants or cafes, possibly because of the weather.

In contrast, the town of Einbeck, my first break of the day, was a bustling market.

I'm probably going for another shorter day tomorrow to Detmold instead of a rest day. While these small towns are quaint there isn't enough to do alone for a day. Maybe in Goslar there was.

No comments:

Post a Comment