Wednesday 29 June 2011

Day 47 - Utrecht rest day

My rest day turned out to be not so relaxing after finding out the hostel had no space for tonight.

An epic hunt through the rainy city took me to 4 b and bs - three of which were full and one nobody was in - a hotel and something Google said was a hostel. It had all the appearances with a table of half finished drinks, but nobody about. A neighbour later told me some Slovaks lived there.

Tourist information were nice and helpful, but after phoning round the hostels all they could hook me up with was a 70 euro a night place.

The after 4pm - afternoon is a bit redundant as there is little before it - was equally expensive but much more worthwhile.

I met a guy from the hostel, Ryan, and his mate, Paul, for some pool and beers, which continued into the night. They were cool people to hang out with, though I had promised not to have a beer till I got home. Oh well.

Utrecht is a nice city centred around the Dom church. I'm told it had an important role to play in the end of the Spanish inquisition so that is something to look up.

Now it is a student town and it has that laid back vibe.

No comments:

Post a Comment