Monday 30 May 2011

Day 19 - Klaipeda to Nida

The original plan was to cycle the 100km spit in one go and rock up in Zelenogradsk on the Kaliningrad coast. I was under the misapprehension that there wasn't much there.

After shaking off a wee bit of a lie in following the beers I took the ferry over to the spit. On the way to the pier there is a cool revolving bridge with a ghostly statue climbing out of it.

The Curonian Spit is actually huge. Something I'd have noticed if I'd done some research or just looked at the significant bit of land on the map. After cycling along a cycle path I realised there were a few crossing ones and that I was just going across the dunes rather than along. This afforded some great views and some fun climbing, but wasn't getting me anywhere near the 110km that had to be done.

Eventually I joined the main road, which went fairly direct towards the Russian border. After a quick stop and snack in a small coastal village I set off again. While the spit is absolutely beautiful the mosquitoes are a massive problem. Going under the trees along the coast they are everywhere, meaning you have to brush yourself down reentering the sun. It is best to simply keep moving as they can't land, but do stick if you hit them.

After 50km Nida is the last town before the border. On a little stage near on some grass some bands were playing. One, fronted by two young ladies, were actually very good. My Lithuanian isn't really up to scratch, but they were folk with a few jazz piano loops thrown in. It did leave me thinking about Bill Bailey playing the Pink Panther.

In the evening there was a larger celebration for the opening of the summer season. It was on tv and hosted by two very eurovision presenters, which was mirrored in the acts. Poor pop groups and ageing stars topped the bill. For a while it was good fun, but the mozzies were descending with the sun and the level of sobriety had already set. With a group of people this would be great fun and an escape from the usual Baltic later lad trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment