Tuesday 24 May 2011

Day 10 - Cesis to Sigulda

A short day of 40km to Sigulda set me up nicely for riding into Riga.

The ride was through the luscious Gauja national park. A strange off-road detour through Ligatne was well worth it for the tree lined ride dropping into a valley with a riverside village.

Sigulda is another great little town, and there are a few decent things to see. The Novada Dome is nice and there are two castles, built by a noble and his rival a bishop. These are up some pretty steep climbs over the Gauja river, and I wish I'd had more time to explore.

In the evening I got chatting to a Swedish guy and a local and they invited me back for bbq and a banya. The guy has a guesthouse, which I highly recommend. The info place had already booked somewhere else for me, though. And they said not to cycle to Riga but get the train...

No comments:

Post a Comment